Friday, April 1, 2011

The Crazy File

Although it's been dormant for awhile, I thought I'd share some gems from my "Crazy File."  When I first started my now defunct business, the local paper did a story on my new store.   The story printed my name, obviously, and talked about our store's products in an article about several local women-owned businesses.  It mentioned nothing about my political views or community activism.  As soon as it was published, I started getting letters from a secret admirer.  All of them were addressed to me personally at my business address.  None had return addresses on them, and none were signed.  Here are a few of my favorites (all emphasis is theirs, not mine):

"Ms Pro Abortion, Ms Planned Parenthood, Ms Kill Children Advocate, Ms. B.O. elect lover, What church do you belong to?  Do they know, do you know, The Ten Commandments?  Their not the ten suggestions!  5th.  Thou Shalt NOT KILL!  It's a human being with a SOUL, Not an animal, not a veggie, not a MASS OF TISSUE.  Repent your ABortion! We don't need your demonic messages!"

This one was written inside a very nice sympathy card:
"Your hero and martyr and leader in the killing of babies is gone your grief must be overwhelming Poor George didn't know Our Lords 5th commandment THOU SHALT NOT KILL!!!  But take consolation: you have a PRO ABORTION PRESIDENT.  He advocates killing babies!"

And this one was attached to a coupon we had running in local flyer:
"Are you proud that your Obama is the pro-abortion president and chooses only pro abortion leeches for his cabinet?  How many babies killed in BO's first 100 days?????"

It's really too bad that this person chose to remain anonymous.  I would have loved to have engaged in a civil dialogue about our differing points of view and perhaps found some common ground. . . . . . oh, wait. . . .

6 comments:

  1. that is absolutely inexcusable! ugh. next time they quote the bible to you, quote it back. Jesus summed up the ten commandments by saying, "love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." i know you are an atheist, so this verse doesn't hold a whole lot of meaning for you, but whoever this person is is clearly acting in a way that is the opposite of what the Bible teaches. i'm sorry that you have been treated so badly, all in the name of God. it's wrong and the Bible doesn't teach that kind of hatred. i think it says a lot about your character that you have been so patient despite the abuses you have suffered from those who disagree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there's no point in arguing with these people since they see their point of view as the literal truth handed down to them from God. You can't really argue with that. Plus, they won't sign their name to anything so I can't argue with them anyway. The good news is, I took these to the police one day and they were very supportive of me, so at least I feel safe enough. My husband really has a much harder time with it than I do. I'm actually a little entertained by it. Thanks for your support and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I would like to apologize on behalf of all non-insane Christians everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for the record, I realize this guy doesn't represent the majority. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, there are enough people like this running around to give us all a few headaches. They thrive on anonymity. You are right to be steamed. Thank you for having the courage to expose this nonsense. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of fun commandments in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Just about everyone can be stoned. You can't just pick and choose the ones you like.

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it civil people.