Thursday, March 31, 2011

I thought they were all about personal responsibility. . .

Since 1971, Minnesota has had a law that allows teenagers to get reproductive medical care without their parents' consent (as well as substance abuse and mental health care).  "But I have to sign a form to allow the school to give my child an aspirin" you might say.  "But I don't want my child getting medications without knowing about it" you might also say.  Or you might say, "But I want my child to feel comfortable talking to me about these things."

Here's the problem: your teenager doesn't feel uncomfortable asking you for an aspirin and thus will probably get the medical care they need in that situation.  It seems like once you become a parent, you immediately forget what it was like to be a teenager.  I don't.  I vividly remember the discomfort I felt even thinking about approaching my parents to discuss sex. 

But guess what?  I was lucky enough to live in Minnesota where I could walk into a Planned Parenthood clinic on my own and get a prescription for birth control pills (as well as a pap smear, a UTI test and a talk with a qualified medical professional about keeping myself safe and healthy).  And guess what happened?  I didn't get pregnant as a teenager.  In fact, I waited until I was 27 and fully ready to have a baby, and it was the most wonderful experience of my life.  I've never had to have an abortion, and I've never had an STD.  And even if I had, I would have been able to go and get myself treatment on my own instead of waiting around while chlamydia took my fertility away.

What's the moral of this story?  Of course parents want their kids to feel comfortable coming to them when these issues arise, but most simply don't, and many have parents who would be hostile or downright abusive if their child ever tried to ask them about birth control.  So isn't it better that we let them take care of themselves and prevent something bad from happening?  I'll trade complete and total openess for a happy, healthy child.

Why do I bring this up you might be asking?  Well, the MN GOP (at the instruction of the Family Council I'm sure) is trying to get rid of this law, and I think it would be a tragedy if they suceeded.  So PLEASE contact your representative and senator to let them know that this is an important law that needs to be maintained.  Tell them NOT to repeal minors' consent for health care.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly. No law can ensure a safe relationship between family members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they trying to introduce new parental consent laws, or are they trying to do away with an existing law that prohibits making parental consent necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The latter, which would kind of necessitate the former. Currently they can get these specific kinds of care on their own. If it's repealed, then they would have to get their parents' consent for all healthcare. The abortion laws are already a little different. I'm specifically talking about birth control that doesn't include abortion (although I personally think they should do away with parental consent for that too).

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it civil people.