Thursday, April 14, 2011

Being sick sucks.

I'm posting this from my hospital bed.  I'm so glad they have wifi in the hospital now, especially since their TV selection sucks.  For those of you who don't know, I'll give you a quick recap of why I'm currently sitting here.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 19.  It's an intestinal disease and if you want to know more about it, you can Google it - don't be lazy.  Anyway, no one knows what causes Crohn's although they've found that there is some sort of genetic component (my brother has it too, as do several of my cousins).  So really, there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent it.  I've had 3 surgeries so far, and have been hospitalized dozens of times over the years because what's left of my teeny-tiny intestines tend to get food stuck in them causing excrutiating pain that rivals that of childbirth.

Naturally, all of this makes me very sensitive to the way in which the current healthcare debate is being discussed.  When people talk about the "overuse" of healthcare, they're talking about me.  According to the tea party, I really should have done more to prevent this disease as a teenager.  I should also be doing more to shop around for the best value in doctors and hospitals.  I always find that argument laughable not only because when I'm in the throes of stabbing stomach pain I'm not thinking about how to get more bang for my buck, but also because I live in a small town.  There's one hospital.  Where else am I supposed to go?  Believe me, if there was another option I'd go for it, because I'm sick of staring at the crucifix on the wall every time I have to come here.  Sure, I could drive half an hour in any number of directions to go to a neighboring community's hospital, but again, when I'm in the throes of stomach pain, I just need to get to the hospital quickly.

The Republicans seem to think that health problems are a choice.  That I chose to be sick and chose to be away from my children for days at a time and chose to rack up thousands of dollars in healthcare costs all because of my stupid intestines.  Clearly, they've never dealt with a chronic illness before.

3 comments:

  1. Well, gosh, Amy! I heard that Walgreens is now doing pap smears, so in the future you should be able to have your intestines checked and your narcotics doled out at your handy-dandy PAMIDA! Isn't capitalism wonderful??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you. Both of my sisters have Crohn's and I've watched them deal with it over the years. I've also watched as people simply do not understand that they have done nothing to deserve this and that their illnesses are very real. The drugs, the expense, the pain and the toll on the body are hard to watch.

    I hope this episode ends quickly and that you're home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words. And Shannon, the way the current healthcare debate is going, I'll probably be lucky to get an aspirin at Walgreen's as my future treatment.

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it civil people.