Monday, March 28, 2011

What's that now?

I had an amazing and rare uplifting moment last week.  I emailed our local high school librarian to see if it would be okay if I donated a copy of Dan Savage's new book "It Get's Better" to the school library.  I wasn't going to buy the extra copy if they wouldn't even allow it into the collection, but imagine my surprise when I got the following response:

"Yes, thank you. We welcome contributions. . .FYI: We have an open, progressive library collection for the young adults in our school. . . I did read some reviews of the book, and it appears it will have a place in our LGBT section."

Our high school library has an LGBT section??!!  Keep in mind, I live in a school district that does NOT observe Martin Luther King Jr Day and takes almost every Wednesday afternoon off for religious release time.  My jaw about fell to the floor when I read that!  I couldn't have been prouder of our local high school librarian.

4 comments:

  1. Hey - I'm the "librarian" at the middle school, so this made me smile. Good on the BHS librarian (she's retiring next week, though...)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good for you! I was planning on getting a copy to my true-blue Minneapolis school, but maybe I should contact a smaller district to make a donation to them, instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dropping it off today! I have a copy for the public library as well, so we'll see if they're as receptive. And Shannon, you should try to get a copy into the Little Falls High School library (that's where my husband went).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep looking for a "like" button! Too much facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it civil people.