Monday, March 19, 2012

Hunting is more important than healthcare?

I was just perusing the latest legislative update from my state senator, Paul Gazelka, and one particular bill that he's sponsoring caught my eye.  The following text comes from Senator Gazelka's legislative update:

"S.F. 1911, otherwise known as the 'Freedom to Hunt and Fish Act of 2012,' will provide for the continuation of hunting and fishing license purchases in the event of a shutdown."

All I can say about this is, "Are you fucking kidding me??" 

Minnesota had a state shutdown last year that lasted throughout most of our summer.  As someone who works in the medical supply field, I can tell you that this shutdown had devastating effects on our patients.  Our Medicaid patients were unable to get many of their essential supplies like ostomy bags, diabetic test strips, etc.  How in the world is the ability to hunt and fish more important than access to needed medical supplies?

I'm not taking an anti-hunting/fishing stance here.  Although I personally don't hunt or fish, I know that many, many people across the state enjoy these activities and I don't necessarily want to begrudge them of their pastime.  I also know that many, many of said hunters and fishermen are conservatives; Gazelka's base.  Hence, the reason he probably sees this as such an essential bill.

Gazelka was one of the people directly responsible for the shutdown last year, and will most likely be again this year.  When he causes the next shutdown, now he can make sure that his base doesn't feel the squeeze that the rest of us will feel as a result of the shutdown.  Therefore, he has even less reason to compromise in order to avoid a shutdown. 

I must commend him on his political savvy, but chastise him for putting the "right" to hunt and fish above the "right" to manage your diabetes.  Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep it civil people.