Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Letter to the Senator

I've been getting regular email updates regarding the state government shutdown from my Republican State Senator, Paul Gazelka.  When I got the last one, I decided to email him back. It went something like this:

"I appreciate that Republicans and Democrats have different views about taxing vs. cutting, but I hope you'll consider getting rid of the social demands that you put into your proposal, like abortion and stem cell research. These are not issues that should be decided in the budget negotiations. 

I also think that since the Governor has been willing to scale back his tax proposals, that you guys could do your part to compromise some of your ideas as well."
 
Here's the response I got:
 
"There was almost an agreement on June 30th.  The governor has gone back to the full $1.4 billion increase above the $4 billion increase we already passed in our budget.
 
It would not surprise me if we were somewhere near his last agreement that he withdrew. 
 
Paul Gazelka"

Could someone please explain to me how this addresses anything I wrote to him about? 

This is what we're dealing with here in Minnesota. God help us all.


 

4 comments:

  1. It's like Charlie Brown's teacher, answering you with an incomprehensible "wah-wah-wah."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a form letter sent out to all DFL supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then it's a pretty shitty form letter. Please excuse my language; and the rhyming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course it is. Gazelka's office put as much thought in your letter as they have in this whole budget mess.

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it civil people.