Thursday, April 11, 2013

Social Insecurity

Here's my two cents on the national Social Security discussion we're having right now.  I'll make it short and sweet. For two days, I've been listening to people on the radio and TV tell me that cutting Social Security benefits by $30 a month is "no big deal." I mean, why are people getting pissed off about that, right?

Here's why. $30 a month can buy you a lot, especially when you're trying to survive on Social Security. It will pay a monthly bill on any number of utilities, it will buy you several meals, and can pay for a medication co-pay. If you're making a good living, $30 a month is truly no big deal.  I spend more than that getting my nails done every month.  But if you're scraping by on Social Security, that $30 a month is going to be missed.

And here's a question: If $30 a month is in fact "no big deal," then why would it be a hardship to instead tax corporations and/or millionaires an extra $30 a month?  Really. I've been hearing for years that corporations and the rich are so horribly over-taxed that they can't possibly pay a penny more, but if it's only a few extra bucks a month, then what's the big deal, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep it civil people.