Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dear God No

Really? Rick Santorum?  That's who you're going for Minnesota?  Rick Santorum?  Do you know anything about Rick Santorum?  Not that I approve of any of the GOP candidates, but Rick Santorum is just a whole 'nother breed of crazy. 

Yes, Rick Santorum won the Minnesota GOP caucus vote last night, and I'm still in a little bit of shock.  I mean, I suppose if you're an evangelical Christian who believes that we should be living in a Christian theocracy where we're all required to abstain from sex until marriage, carry unwanted pregnancies, live in loveless, sham marriages if we're gay, and give money to the official Christian church of America, then Santorum is probably the way to go.  But if you value personal freedom at all, what would possess you to support this guy?

I certainly don't think the Democrats, or Obama specifically, have all the answers, but they certainly have better answers than Rick Santorum.  This guy is so obsessed with gay people, that I find it hard to believe he's not gay himself.  Anyone who spends that much time thinking about homosexuality is doing so for a reason.  If he ever wants to get over his Google problem, he should probably just shut up on the issue and move on to something else.

I think that the average Santorum voter is hoping that he can somehow bring us back to the Utopian days of the 40's and 50's where everyone waited to have sex until they got married, no one had abortions, and gay people were non-existent.  In other words "family values."  But here's the thing about the 40's and 50's; that Utopian version of the decades never existed in the first place.  People were just much, much better about hiding their secrets.  There were a lot more premature babies born to couples who had only been married 7 months, a lot more women dying of mysterious hemorrhaging, and a lot more crazy uncles living with their "roommate." 

My husband and I were discussing this the other night in the context of these kinds of old secrets within our own extended families. A lot of crazy shit happened to our ancestors, but they were much better about covering it up and living a lie.  Isn't it better to just live in the open and be honest about who you are and what's going on in your life?

I think so, but I'm pretty sure Rick Santorum doesn't.

4 comments:

  1. This guy was Tea Party before the Tea Party. The good news is that most voters lie 'in the middle' somewhere and they won't go for extreme righties, or lefties.

    Check out the Dispatch today "Obama, polarizing from the middle?" Polls show Obama is the most moderate Democratic president since WWII.

    Still the right-wing hates him. Venture any guesses why? Some of what he has proposed were GOP ideas and now they dislike them. Go Figure.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure there are more divorces each year than there are gays and lesbians wanting to marry each year, not 100%, but still pretty sure. What do all this id..erm.. people say about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a dark day for Minnesota. I was nauseated when I heard the results. To think that there are that many people in Minnesota who believe in Santorum's sort of bigotry is stunning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biodork summed up my feelings pretty well. And yes, I have noticed how curiously quiet the right is on the subject of divorce. If the point was to protect the "sanctity of marriage" wouldn't they focus on that instead? Although, as a married person myself, I think the best way to protect the sanctity of marriage would be to require men to take housekeeping classes pre-wedlock.

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep it civil people.